Friday, April 24, 2015

Glee

I reworked this from a previous painting. I liked the original, but I've never (in my shortish experience with oils) seen anything fade like it did. It was originally sort of muted anyways, on purpose, but geez, the paint soaked into the canvas so much that it all seemed the same value, dullness, blah-ness. The only thing I can think of is that it was a cheap canvas and I should have gessoed it more, or just not used that brand of canvas. My paints and mediums hadn't changed, so it had to be the canvas, right? Anyways, I like this one better, and now I don't have to look at the other one feeling so sorry for itself! This is 14x11, oil (the same canvas but now sitting on layers of paint, so I doubt it will "sink" this time)!

2 comments:

  1. This painting stopped me in my tracks! Wowwwwwww! Beautiful, Laurie!

    I've never had paint sink that much, but I have struggled with dullness, blah-ness. When that happens, I oil it out. Here's a YouTube video that helped me, Laurie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kypCo3QUQk8 (If the link doesn't work, the video is called "How to Oil Paint: Oiling Out."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember that now! I wish I had remembered it earlier. We've talked about this before, and I'll check it out. Thanks, Chris!

    ReplyDelete