Friday, April 8, 2016

Still Feelin It and a quilt!

This used to look different. I liked it, but something was bugging me and I finally figured out what it was. It was too busy. So.....I reworked it by about 85%. I changed almost everything. Calmed it down, added lots of glazes for depth and now I'm happy! And you know what they say....when Mama's happy, everyone's happy! (p.s., another blog entry went out today of mine. It was from when my blog wasn't working I guess. It's an oldie!) but thanks for the comments!
And speaking of Mama, this is a quilt I made recently for my daughter. I used to sew a lot, and have made lots and lots, but not lately. I wanted to show what I did with some of the patches. Spoonflower.com will print your artwork on fabric, wrapping paper, (which I've done- it was great!) and lots of other stuff. I know my art friend, Sheila Delgado has used them, too. Anyways, I usually use fabric that's a combination of new, and from old clothes, too. You can see the patches where my paintings are. It looks very nice!

8 comments:

  1. Love the story of Still Feelin It: what a metaphor—it takes courage to let go of being too busy. You did it! Kudos! That little anchoring bit of scrub grass in the rocks calls out to me, and all that lovely surrounding calm. Om …

    LOVE LOVE LOVE your quilt … with patches of your artwork printed on fabric. FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, as always, for your insightful and supportive words, Dotty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning work Laurie. The light on the hills, the depth in the water, and the glow on his chest. Love it! And your quilt is the bomb! What a special gift! Your work printed up great :) (Thanks for the shout out.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sheila! I love that: "the BOMB!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea of using the Spoonflower printed fabrics in combination with quilts. I love the quality of printing from that company, and have used them to print my own art onto fabric at times. These are really lovely quilts.(and artworks!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sally! It is fun to combine this and that in our artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Spoonflower, have used them for wrapping paper. Great printing! What a great idea with your quilts. I, too, love to sew. I am going to force some more time out of everything else to get some cat kennel quilts done in the next year or so. I don't have the patience to stay with it for a big one yet (and I am not good at using glazes, as I get impatient with that one too.) Love looking at all the color you use - thanks!

    ReplyDelete