Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Dinner Can Wait

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free",  Michelangelo.
I discovered this quote last night and I love a lot of things about it: the vision he had before the creation, the confidence and faith of what would be before it happens, and others things. It also reminded me of negative painting. He was getting rid of all that marble that didn't look like an angel!
This is a photo I snapped at our local farmer's market. The calf was eating until the little girl reached down and touched him. My imagination told me that this moment of her touch was more important to him than his food. But I could be wrong. The beauty is, it doesn't matter!

8 comments:

  1. Touch is always paramount. And you sure have the touch with your paintbrush, Laurie. I can feel the warmth of the calf in my right hand, the splintery wood in my left, the hardness of the split rail against my rib cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet. I really like the difference between the rough scruffy look of the background and the smooth hide of the calf - very cool Laurie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Val. That wasn't deliberate, so I'm glad it happened!

      Delete
  3. Lovely work Laurie! I can smell the grass, the feed... can hear the calf breathing, and hear the sound of tiny shoes as they climb the fence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ya, the touch is most important, even for the girl. I love that sweet, endearing connection you have painted.

    ReplyDelete